Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Ricky Tims Super Quilt Seminar

I had the amazing opportunity to attend the Ricky Tims Super Quilt Seminar in Hyannis this past weekend. We were prepared for Hurricane (no hurricane) Earl but it didn't make a difference to the 350 quilters who showed up.

My expectations were sort of medium. I knew Ricky, Libby Lehman and Alex Anderson would be great speakers and their quilts would be gorgeous. I didn't know that I would come away with a lot of new techniques and a TON of inspiration. I am already designing my Rhapsody quilt and thinking hard about something Libby said: You Have to Enter to Win. Meaning, if I want to compete in quilt shows, I have to actually submit a quilt or two. That automatically raises the bar in terms of design and technique. It's a challenge I am ready to work on.

Here are some photos:
Libby Lehman, thread artist extraordinaire and a hilarious lady on top of that.
Here's a detail from one of her quilts:
Here's Ricky & Libby teaching!
Here's Ricky & Libby & me in a slightly awkward pose:


Here are a few of his quilts:
I had the best time and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I didn't get a picture with Alex but had a really great conversation with her at the end about The Quilt Show - the online quilting program she and Ricky do. It's phenomenal to watch major award-winning quilters show their work, their techniques, their inspiration, all on the computer while I sip some tea and do some applique.
Now off to the sewing room!